IT'S LIKE A SKETCH SHOW...
AS A BLOG.

Friday 25 June 2010

Josef Fritzel. Husband. Father. Role Model.


I never had a father. I mean I had a father but my father was never around. And my wife and I have been thinking of having kids. So I’m getting a little concerned – will I be a good dad? I’m worried because I never had that role model for being a great husband and father.

But I believe I found that role model.

Josef Fritzel.

And now you’re thinking “Not Josef Fritzel infamous Austrian who locked up his 13 year old daughter in a prison built beneath his house for 24 years having 7 children with her never letting them outside ever?’ Yep. Him. My hero. All any of us want to be is a affectionate and attentive husband and father. Fritzel was both… to the same woman.

A lot of dads are hands off when it comes to their families. Not Fritzel! He was very, very, very, very involved… For example: A lot of fathers feel uncomfortable talking to their kids about issues. You know - that whole birds and the bees conversation… But Fritzel was like – forget the conversation lets make this a Birds and the Bees demonstration.

Plus, telling them about the Birds and the Bees wouldn’t have worked anyway… How would they know what a bird or a bee was? They’d never been outside.

They did mostly indoor things like drawing. But living in a subterranean sex dungeon does limit your subject matter somewhat though - most the pictures stuck on the fridge were pictures of the fridge.

Most of their games were quiet games of course – because Fritzel didn’t want them bothering the neighbors I guess. Not like the other children on the street with that annoying ‘laughter.’Even if Fritzel didn’t want his kids laughing – he wanted them to be happy. Fritz loved his kids and I read somewhere he was proud of them. I remember reading an article where he told a journalist saw a lot of himself in his kids…

If he positioned the video camera just right.

But he wasn’t just an affectionate father to his daughter – he was also a doting husband… to his daughter. And before we rush to judge, there are some good things about marrying your daughter. All that getting to know you awkward part of the relationship wouldn’t even exist… I mean, he’s known her for years… practically since she was born. There wouldn’t be that ‘oh is it okay to pee in front of each other yet’ stage… That all disappears when you have changed someones nappy.

Sure there are bound to be some awkward moments… All relationships have some awkward moments. Like forgetting anniversaries… or knowing what lingerie to wear on Fathers day. That kind of thing.

But at least he was there. How many women wish their man would do more around the house? Fritzel was VERY handy. He was the D.I.Y king. First he built that brilliant sex dungeon. Then, as the family grew, he extended it into a sex dungeon (slash) family dungeon. Alone. No help.

I can picture him at B&Q in the weekend with all the other D.I.Y Dads. “Alright, mate can I help you?” And then Fritzel has his little list. “Yes I need chains, locks, a tiny sink, a small toilet, about 2 meter square bathroom tiles, a few buckets, some kids beds, rope, a really strong door and the… quietest… power tools you have. And the B&Q guy, not even looking up says, “Oh yeah – you’ll find all of that in the just down past outdoor furniture and lamps in the Sex Dungeon aisle. “

Then off he trots. Whistling. Thinking of the honest work he has in front of him. Then over the store tannoy.

"BING BONG Hello B&Q shopper. If you are building a sex dungeon (slash) Family Dungeon we are having a sale on plastic sheeting, duct tape and bare 60 watt light bulbs that hang from the ceiling and swing a bit.”

And then in the Sex dungeon aisle there are a whole lot of caring Fathers like him sacrificing their Saturdays for their secret families trying to put a floor over their heads.

And I think that what Fritzel is. Just overly protective of his family.

Look around the world is a mean place. It’s tough out here. I think Fritzel was trying to PROTECT his family from the dangers of modern life. There are some nutters out there!


Last week I heard about this guy who kidnapped a girl and locked her in his house as some sort of sex slave for 5 years! Now what father wouldn’t want to protect his family from that?



1 comment:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Followers

    Worth Going To

    • Collage (Bruise Remix) by Lady Blackbird Not since Roisin Murphy’s ‘Incapable’ has there been such a tub-thumping, sweat-dripping-from-the-walls euphoria d...
      3 years ago
    • Well here we are... 364 days since my last post. Let no man say it's been years since I've posted anything. With a summer break cones the chance to work t...
      6 years ago
    • Following on from the previous post. The billion little steps to better line was liked by Nokia I now had to produce some press executions to tell some of ...
      12 years ago
    • Due to an administrative hiccup, I'm flying back to London tonight, and not Tuesday, as I'd planned for. It's a shame I don't have another two days and a ...
      14 years ago